Thursday, April 28, 2011

Fabulous Lashes Thanks to Fabulous Mascara

One of the questions I get asked the most is "What mascara do you use?".  It's a question I have a hard time answering because the look I'm trying to achieve determines the mascara I choose.  I have eleven mascaras in my make up drawer.  Yes, you read that right, ELEVEN!  I'm a bit of a mascara slut, but in all fairness, I've been testing a lot out lately.  You probably know that I use Clinique Bottom Lash on my bottom lashes and that is the ONLY mascara that goes on them. 

Because I have so many mascaras and mascara is only good for 3-6 months once opened(maybe I don't always follow that rule)  it's not practical to stick with high end brands.  Sure I have had some expensive mascaras in my arsenal and my all time fave is not exactly cheap, but reality sent me to the drugstore. 

I have average size lashes that don't require curling (but benefit from it).  I don't always want too much length because then my lashes bang against my glasses (so not an attractive look).  I generally divide my mascaras into 4 categories: Natural Look (if I'd been blessed with gorgeous lashes), Thick Knock Them Dead Lashes, False Lashes, and of course Bada Bling Lashes.

Natural Look
  • Loreal Telescopic Carbon Black- no thickening, just darkens my lashes and does a nice job lengthening.  Will not be repurchasing because too hard to wash off.  I would recommend this for guys though.
  • Bare Mineral Flawless Definition- nice thickening of lashes, decent amount of lengthening with next to no clumps.  Will not be repurchasing, but only because of the next mascara...
  • Bare Escentuals Buxom Lash-if I could only have 1 mascara this would be it.  With one coat it lengthens and thickens nicely, but layers beautifully without clumping.  Love the hourglass brush shape.
Thick Knock Them Dead Lashes
  • L'oreal Voluminous Carbon Black- gives you bold, dark, thick lashes.  Works better as the mascara "matures", it's clumps a bit on the wand when it's brand new.  Will not be repurchasing as it is very difficult to wash off and every morning I wake up with smears of it under my eyes.
  • Covergirl Lash Blast Volume-absolutely love this one.  Layers beautifully and produces thick lush lashes.  Easily washes off, but stays put all day.  Would definitely repurchase.
  • Bare Escentuals Buxom Lash-yes this mascara is that good.  It can easily go from a natural look to thick and sexy. 
  • Maybelline The Colossal Volume Express-I just discovered this one and really like it.  It gives lashes a nice shine and unbelievable volume and length.  Creates more of a "wow" then the Buxom Lash, but more likely to clump if you're not careful.  For some reason I have repeatedly stuck my eye with this wand.
False Lashes
  • Bare Escentuals Buxom Lash-this little wonder even works well on false lashes, blending them nicely into your own.
  • Maybelline The Colossal Volume Express-for when you really want obscene lashes.  Applied to both natural and false lashes you can't tell that you're wearing false lashes, except for the fact that no one should have lashes this amazing.
Bada Bling Lashes
  • Benefit Prrrowl Iridescent Mascara Topcoat-this is the best glittery topcoat on the market.  The glitter is micro and highly reflective.  It doesn't flake in your eyes.  You can layer it without getting gloppy.  Has a pretty iridescence to it.  To make it even cooler it has a pretty iridescent pink lip gloss on the other end.
  • Cover Girl Lash Blast Volume Luxe-I wanted to love this one because I just love the original version.  I bought both the green and platinum versions.  I HATE the green one; makes my lashes look grey.  The platinum version is fine as a regular mascara, but has zero sparkle. Will not repurchase.
  • L'oreal Double Extend Eye Illuminator-this is a two part tube.  One end is a regular mascara and the other end is a glittery brown with slight sparkle.  The mascara clumps my lashes horribly and the glittery brown just doesn't show up, no matter how many coats I apply.  Will not repurchase.
To sum it all up, if I had to only have one mascara and price wasn't an issue I would stick with Buxom Lash.  If I needed to be more economical I would probably go with either The Colossal Volume Express or Lash Blast Volume. For a luxury I would treat myself to Prrrowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment